Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

What the heck is a Digital Certificate?

Welcome to all... To the Premier Blog (at least I think so) for the most boring of subjects: Federal Government Contracting. The good news is that you will find nuggets of information that you can trade in for payments from the government. Hey, send me a question or two and I'll have even more fun blogging! GB. Summer, 2011


A digital certificate allows you to upload and submit documents with an "electronic" signature. For many of us it means no more last minute dash to UPS or FedEx to send a signed document.  More and more, the federal government and GSA in particular are requiring vendors (you) to submit offers electronically. For example, GSA, uses "eOffer" for new offers, and "eMod" for contract modifications.


The digital certificate is actually assigned to a specific person and a specific computer. Your business may need more than one digital certificate if there are multiple authorized negotiators. Digital certificates can be moved from one computer to another, so if you move your office, get a new computer, or change employment, you can take the certificate with you.


It is definitely worth it. I find that I can get offers submitted in a shorter time, thus improving my service to my clients. It is also easier to work with a contracting officer during the final stages of award.


For the latest information and how to get a digital certificate, use the GSA Vendor Support Center site, and view the instructions for digital certificates. One place to find the instructions is at https://vsc.gsa.gov/ ->  "Modifications". You can also contact me and I will send a copy of the instructions - no obligation.


Thanks for listening, and let me know what you want to learn about... for government contracting that is! 
GB






















2 comments:

  1. Great ! I also wanted to know about this term. With the help of this article I got to know about the basic m,meaning of digital certificates. Can you please provide some more detailed information about this concept.
    digital certificate

    ReplyDelete